How can innovation help agriculture be more sustainable?
The agricultural sector is today faced by the demands of an exponential population growth and pressured by different challenges, including climate change and changing socio-economic dynamics. European agriculture therefore needs to produce enough food while respecting the environment, safeguarding consumers and supporting farmers.
As discussed in the European Parliament own initiative Enhancing innovation and economic development in future European farm management, innovation plays a key role in helping European agriculture in meeting these multiple challenges.
- What are the promising innovative tools now and in the medium term?
- How can innovative practices be used to increase the sustainability and economic viability of Europe’s agriculture sector?
- Are innovative measures mainly implemented by young farmers? What are the challenges to the uptake of new research findings?
- How can research and innovation be concretely implemented on the ground?
- What is the role of researchers, farmers, industry, and policy makers?
EURACTIV Network Office
Boulevard Charlemagne 1, 1041 Brussels
Google Maps >>
- Jan Huitema MEP, Member of the Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development, Rapporteur Enhancing innovation and economic development in future European farm management, European Parliament
- Mihail Dumitru, Deputy Director-General, DG AGRI
- Alan Jagoe, President, European Council of Young Farmers (CEJA)
- Trees Robijns, Senior EU Agriculture and Bioenergy Policy Officer, BirdLife Europe
- David Wilkinson, Senior Director of Agriculture, PepsiCo Europe
12:00 – 12:30 Registration and networking lunch
12:30 – 13:45 Panel debate and open discussion
13:45 – 14:00 Conclusion and final remarks