Better regulating pesticides: Solutions for safe, transparent decision-making
Over the past months, discussion has heated up regarding the use and safety of pesticides in Europe. Concern has been raised especially with regard to the approval system of these substances, to which the European Parliament reacted by setting up the ad-hoc EU authorisation procedure for pesticides (PEST) Special Committee. With a 9-month mandate, the Special Committee is expected to issue its assessment by the end of the year.
All stakeholders are calling for a transparent and science-based approach. But how can policy-makers ensure that the authorisation procedure really is based on sound research? What concrete solutions can be implemented to improve the transparency and approval process?
EURACTIV invites you to this forum to discuss how to regulate pesticides in the EU and find concrete solutions involving all stakeholders. Questions will include:
- Does the current approval system work? What elements should and could be changed?
- How can the approval and policy-making systems be made more transparent and more efficient, taking into consideration the latest scientific developments?
- How can we ensure that an evidence-based approach is adopted in the authorisation process?
- Should the current role of EU agencies (ECHA, EFSA) be revised?
- How can we make sure that science takes centre stage in EU decision-making?
- How can safety for users and consumers be ensured?
EURACTIV Network Office
Boulevard Charlemagne 1, 1041 Brussels
Google Maps >>
To be announced soon
17:00 – 17:30 Registration
17:30 – 18:00 Opening statements
18:00 – 19:00 Discussion and Q&A
19:00 – 20:00 Networking reception
+32 (0)2 226 58 23