What future for Big Data mining?
Policymakers are showing growing interest for real-time analysis of public opinion and Big Data. From finance to political campaigners, social media have become a primary source of information, especially when it comes to understanding public opinion trends.
However, the potential of social media still needs to be fully exploited. With the explosion of structured and unstructured Big Data, the ability to harness information has become paramount for those who want to successfully use information originating from social media.
On the regulatory side, the European Commission wants to promote the data-driven economy as part of its Digital Single Market strategy. The strategy includes better online access and digitalisation as a driver for growth.
- How can social media and Big Data be used to understand public opinion trends?
- What is the potential for political campaigners? Can we win an election thanks to social media?
- Is there a risk that these data will be misused? What risks for data protection?
- How can the financial sector use social media to make better investment decisions?
- Are policymakers facing the challenge of the growing data-driven economy?
EURACTIV Network Office
Boulevard Charlemagne 1, 1041 Brussels
Google Maps >>
Julia Reda MEP, European Parliament
Aurelie Valtat, Digital Strategy, DG DEVCO, European Commission
Diego Naranjo, Advocacy Manager, European Digital Rights (EDRi)
Guenaëlle Collet, EU Affairs Manager, EBU Big Data Initiative Manager, European Broadcasting Union (EBU)
Laurentiu Vasiliu, Founder and CEO, Peracton
12:00 – 12:30 Registration and networking lunch
12:30 – 13:45 Panel debate and open discussion
13:45 – 14:00 Conclusion and final remarks