The transition to sustainable and smart mobility: How do we get there?
In February 2020, European Commissioner for Transport Valean gave her first insight into the Commission's reflections on the future of transport and mobility. She welcomed the European Parliament's choice to put sustainability at the centre of the debate as it perfectly mirrors EC President Von der Leyen’s political guidelines driven by the ambition of the European Green Deal to ensure that transport makes its important contribution to climate neutrality by 2050.
She also stressed that transport must be fit for the digital age, when it comes to harnessing digital technologies to make mobility smart as well as sustainable.
The Commission will adopt a forward-looking strategy later this year, following a public consultation. It is designed to pave the way for equipping the EU with a mobility that is sustainable, modern, accessible, safe, secure and competitive for the decades to come. The strategy will include ambitious measures aimed at significantly reducing CO2 and pollutant emissions across all modes. It aims to exploit digitisation and automation, enhancing connectivity to the next level.
Join this EURACTIV debate to assess how the EC's Strategy on Sustainable and Smart Mobility can achieve the 90% reduction in emissions by 2050 and what key measures will ensure success. Questions will include:
- What is needed from transport in order to reach the EU 2050 goal to go carbon-neutral?
- What role do maritime solutions, including green ports and electrifying shipping, play?
- How can we best accelerate the technology uptake, for instance with EVs, to meet the 2050 goal?
- How best to make solutions available to citizens and businesses? Is the ‘polluter pays’ principle the right course across all transport modes? Can the Just Transition mechanism ensure that nobody is left behind?
- Are cities a good starting point for the green transition?
Claire Depre, Head of Unit, Sustainable and Intelligent Transport, DG MOVE, European Commission
Catherine Chabaud MEP, ENVI Committee, European Parliament
Marian-Jean Marinescu MEP, Member TRAN Committee, European Parliament
Carlos Calvo Ambel, Senior Director, Non Road and Analysis, Transport&Environment
Additional speakers to be announced soon.
Samuel Morgan, Transport Editor, EURACTIV
14:30 – 14:35 Welcome & House rules
14:35 – 14:55 Panellists statements
14:55 – 15:40 Discussion & Q&A
15:40 – 15:45 Closing statements
+32 (0)2 788 36 86