Is Europe ready for FinTech?
EU policymakers are devoting increased attention to Financial Technology (FinTech), reflective of the sector’s growing opportunities, investor and media profile.
The European Parliament will set out its position in an own-initiative report and the European Commission has created a taskforce on the digitalisation of financial services. These moves come against the backdrop to create Capital Markets Union (CMU), including the aim of boosting FinTech access to capital, and implement the upcoming Retail Financial Services Action Plan to exploit the potential of digitalisation.
EURACTIV orgnaised a roundtable to address questions such as:
- What is the economic potential for FinTech in Europe?
- What challenges and opportunities does FinTech create for EU policymakers?
- How can the EU support the emergence of new disruptors in financial services?
- ‘E-identification’? ‘Big data’? How can developments in FinTech benefit customers?
EURACTIV Network Office
Boulevard Charlemagne 1, 1041 Brussels
Google Maps >>
Cora van Niewenhuizen MEP, Rapporteur on FinTech INI report - tbc
Peteris Zilgalvis, Head of Start-ups & Innovation, DG CONNECT
Peter Kerstens, Head of Financial Technology Taskforce and Adviser on Cybersecurity, DG FISMA
Sylvain Bouyon, Research Fellow, CEPS - tbc
Marte Bourhaug, Senior Public Policy Manager for Digital and Aviva Ventures, Aviva
Patrick Armstrong, Senior Policy Officer for Financial Innovation, European Securities & Markets Authority (ESMA)
- Roeland Van der Stappen, V-P for EU Government Affairs, Barclays
10.00 – 10.30 Registration and coffee break
10.30 – 11.00 Opening statements from the panel
11.00 – 12.00 Open discussion
+44 (0)7 501 267 049